We all know how important it is to live an active lifestyle. When we get a sweat sesh in everyday, we feel better physically and mentally, so let’s make sure we’re getting the most out of ‘em!
Today I am going to share with you my top ten tips on how to make every workout count.
1. Time your breaks. This is crucial for a great workout. Don’t check emails or return text messages between exercises or sets. If you are trying to lose weight, keep the rest period under 45 seconds. If you go strong the entire workout there will be no need to spend more than 45- 60 minutes in the gym.
2. Cut down on the chit chat. I think it’s a great idea to workout with friends. It helps with motivation and encouragement, but be sure it doesn’t turn into happy hour without the booze. Schedule some time after the gym to catch up so you can focus on your goals and form during the workout.
3. Have a plan. Write out your workout and bring it with you to the gym. I save all of my workouts on my phone so I can access them quickly and easily. So many people waste too much time wondering around the weight room aimlessly, or spending too much time on the treadmill. Have a plan and a purpose for each workout and each exercise.
4. Use YouTube to your advantage. You can’t have good workout without proper form. I recommend looking up EVERY new exercise you add. Even if it seems like an easy move, small steps can be crucial.
5. Track your progress. Doing the same thing every time you exercise is one of the easiest ways to hit a serious plateau. Record every move, rep and set and make small tweaks next time for quicker results.
6. Go beyond the number on the scale and your reflection in the mirror. There is nothing wrong with feeling like you need to lose 10 pounds, or wanting to look better in your jeans, but we need to go beyond the physical goals and dig deep for the emotional reasoning behind wanting to lose the weight. These are the goals that will keep you going during the low points.
7. Perfect free weights. Machines can be a great starting point for beginners, but we do not need to rely too heavily on them. They do half the work for us by leading us through the correct ROM. Free weights is a much better option for burning calories and adding variety.
8. Use compound movements. No one has time to spend hours in the gym every day working out. Most people barely have a full hour. Good news- you only need 30- 45 minutes to get in a great workout. The secret? Compound moves and circuit training. You are working more muscles when doing compound movements, thus burning more calories.
9. Make circuit training your new best friend. Doing each exercise back to back with little recovery time is a circuit. This type of training builds long, lean muscles while allowing your body to burn more calories at rest. Try combing strength and cardio to up the ante.
10. Pop the bubbly. It’s important to celebrate accomplished goals. Even the small ones.
Get a pedicure or have an extra glass of wine. You deserve it, sexy lady.
How do you celebrate your accomplishments?